Used in some first season episodes of Outlander, Culross Palace has been used to provide filming locations for a number of episodes. One is the palace garden, used as the herb garden at Castle Leoch. Another season one location was the palace Withdrawing Room doubling as Geillis Duncan’s parlour.
The palace is used again in season two. The courtyard and main stairway was used as the village encampment where Claire pulls a tooth from a local woman and Murtagh waits on Jamie who is meeting with the Prince. The Palace High Hall was used for the Jacobite meeting where Jamie swears his oath to Prince Charlie. The Palace’s Kings Room was used as for a bedroom scene when Jamie and Claire’s visit a village. The Palace’s Kitchen and Pantry was used as a tavern.
Culross Palace was built between 1597 and 1611 by Sir George Bruce, the Laird of Carnock. Although never an official royal residence, it was visited by King James VI in 1617. It is now owned and cared for by the National Trust for Scotland.
Images supplied by nts.org.uk